Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

Susan's Book Talk: Two more bits about books not mine

First off, the mystery world has lost one of its pioneers: Mickey Spillane, the creator of the Mike Hammer series. Rest in peace, Mickey, and may Mike live on in reprints and collectors' editions.

Secondly, this book article mentions one of my old professors (who came up in conversation the other night; how's THAT for karma?): Chuck Kinder.

Chuck mentored not only me but Michael Chabon, among others. He's the one who convinced me to pursue this writing thing, and who gave me the confidence I need to pursue the rather unconventional genre of Rocktion, I think Joe called it the other night -- rock and roll fiction, about bands and the people who make the magic happen.

Pick up Chuck's books, all of them, but especially this new autobiography. No one tells a tale like Chuck Kinder, and if you can't hear him in person, this should be the next best thing. I'll be picking up a copy myself in the next few days and reading it shortly. Hope you do the same.

Labels: ,


Comments:
So ya know that I really read the article, that very last entry brought back my teenage years...."Shibumi" by Trevanian, at that point in my young life was probably the most sexually explicit book I had read....and read....and re-read.

Of course, as I expanded my horizons, those passages were of course surpassed by other books, and by life itself, however spies and good-sex are always a good read!
 
So... you telling me I should abandon rock stars for spies and good sex?

Can't the rock stars have good sex?

*wink*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home