Saturday, September 23, 2006

 

Fiction Outtake: Flags (the early days)

It was one of those autumn days that made everyone love being in Riverview, even Trevor. The air was so clear, it seemed every vein in every leaf stood out and could be seen from miles away. It was the sort of day when you believed that nothing bad could happen and when you spent the day laying down by the river with your best friend and daydreaming, nothing bad could happen.

"A flag," Trevor said, his head nestled comfortably in his hands, his feet crossed at the ankle. A cigarette clung to his lip, comfortably, like being with the idiot felt.

"What the fuck?" Mitchell asked, pulling his one ankle underneath his opposite leg. Fucker could sit like that for hours, all knotted up, especially if he had a guitar with him. Which he didn't; too afraid of dropping it in the river and watching it get swept to God-knew-where.

"A flag," he repeated. "A ShapeShifter flag. For our fans to pledge their love and shit to. You know… one nation, all for one, buy even our shitty records and defend them to the fans who can think… a flag."

Mitchell eyed him. Trevor shrugged and uncrossed one arm, peeling his cigarette off his lip. "A flag?" the big idiot repeated. "Why not something easier, like t-shirts? I bet they cost less to make and we'd sell more."

At that, Trevor had to sit up. "I'm not talking of something for them. This is about us."

"It's all about us," Mitchell reminded him, reaching for Trevor's cigarette.

Trevor pulled it away. "Get your own, fucker."

"I'm out."

Trev grinned. "What? Spend all your allowance money again?"

"No," Mitchell answered in the same taunting voice that Trevor had just used. "That girl last night ripped my last pack off and I haven't had time to get more."

Trevor nodded. "You have lousy taste in girls."

"I bet she'd stand naked under that flag of yours."

"Okay, not so lousy." He handed the cigarette over. "But a flag." He let his eyes unfocus. "United Fans of ShapeShifter. I like it."

"You're a dork," Mitchell said.

Trevor glanced at him, unsurprised to see the wheels in the idiot's own brain turning.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
and what is Mitchell thinking? ;)
 
I'd love to hear your own speculations on the matter. ;)
 
I'm just going to keep reading!
 
What were any of them thinking? I'm not sure what is happening here. Help! I don't think I'm 'getting' this piece. Help!
 
wow... and i thought the only thing trevor ever really desired was girls.....
 
An interesting situation.
 
trevor is priceless..
 
I love the early stuff with Trevor and Mitchell, that sneak peak into what really makes them tick, who they were before they were Shapeshifter.
 
I see Mitchell running with the idea and taking credit...but that's the way my mind works. Love it.
Would love your opinion on my entry....little romance (historical) that has been buzzing my brain as of late.
 
Nah, M wouldn't do that to Trevor. Trev would find a way to make him pay, and when Trevor does that, it's never pretty...

On my way over to visit you now!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home