Thursday, January 24, 2008

 

Booking Through Thursday -- Huh?

Once again, this week's Booking Through Thursday made me laugh. Ready?

What’s your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody “knows” those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, “Huh? Never heard of it?”

Here's what's so giggle-worthy about this question: most of the books I plug are books you've never heard of. Not all; a number of you had read A Thread of Grace, Mary Doria Russell's brilliant novel of Italy during the Holocaust.

But the rest?

Oh, my goodness.

Check out my Library Thing widget over there on the left; it lists only the books I rave about. Go back into my archives and look around at the books I've read and loved.

And stay tuned. I've got more to come -- reading the books no one's heard of is one of my missions in life.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Rockin' With Frigga is back!!
http://anyapples.blogspot.com/
 
Go check your comments, babe. I already played.
 
I have so much fun reading everyone's selections. Now I'll have to check out A Thread of Grace, which sounds very appealing especially it's historic fiction. Thanks for sharing. :)
 
This was such a fun question. I'm hearing about a lot of obscure books that sound interesting to read.

A Thread of Grace has been added to my "To Read" list!!
 
Sounds like an excellent mission, Susan! And I'm thinking that next week, I'll start participating in Booking Through Thursday -- looks like fun. :)
 
I absolutely MUST check out this booking through Thursday meme!
 
A Thread of Grace sounds like my kind of book. I usually read obscure books too, much more interesting....
 
*I've got more to come -- reading the books no one's heard of is one of my missions in life.*

Mine too! I love to uncover the overlooked gems. Looking forward to finds from you.
 
I've been on a binge of less eclectic books lately, since I've been reading more award winners. I'll have to check out your library thing list soon.
 
Wait... I thought that was my mission in life. LOL!
 
Puss, this is one mission I'll gladly share!
 
Amy's Eyes, can't remember who by, but it's out of print and it's an amazing children's story. I have a copy I bought at a used bookstore. I adore the book.
 
Hey Susan. stopping by to wish you a good Friday. i am finding a lot of blogging about books this year already so i take it that reading is alive and well. that's a good thing!
cheers! Kim
 
I roared you!!
 
I should have said I roared you on my blog. DOH!!
 
I... uh... kinda figured that's what you'd meant, Aim.
 
I've really got to look into this library thing.
Several people have told me I should read Thread of Grace, it is on my list (honest).
 
I have always loved reading about real people, especially outrageous characters. Two that I especially enjoyed were 'WC Fields - His Follies and Fortunes' by Robert Lewis Taylor and 'W C Fields and Me' by Carlotta Monti. Then there was one about John Barrymore the actor which has disappeared from my book shelves - but which made me laugh out loud - tragic though it was.
Michele sends her best.
 
Hi, I am always looking for good books to read and now i will add A Thread of Grace to my list.
 
Oop, you're half right - come try again!!! :-)
 
I have tagged you for another reading meme which I thought was interesting

http://aceandhoserblook.blogspot.com/2008/01/reading-meme.html
 
"reading the books no one's heard of is one of my missions in life."
- I love this!

I've had _Thread of Grace_ on Mt. TBR since August (though it did get a read by my mom). I'd better bump it up the list.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home