Tuesday, May 13, 2008

 

Susan's Book Talk: Colette Gale's Master

I saw that Colette Gale was offering peeks at her new book, Master, if we'd promise to blog about the book. How could I resist? After all, she's the one who wrote Unmasqued, a book with no small amount of controversy behind it -- seems that it was too sexy for some. (I still don't get that, as both the spine and the cover of the copy I bought at RT clearly mark it as an erotic novel. But then I don't get the person who was offended by Trevor. What did she expect from a rock star if not the word motherfucker? Sometimes, I don't get people. I just don't.)

Therefore, anything I say comes with that caveat: this book is full of explicit, wonderful, yummy sex. Okay? Got that?

Now, you can read my full review over at Front Street Reviews. It's done, it's up, and it says lots of things about the book. I'm going to use this space to say things that I didn't put in the review. Like how absolutely stunning the cover is. How I want to wear the dress on the cover model (even though it seems totally contrary to the outfits of the times). Like how this book reads really fast yet also has a nice, strong subtext.

Oh, wait. I said that last part in my review. Sorry.

But that's probably what struck me most about Master. The fact that on the surface, you've got this story of love and revenge, all tied up into what ought to be a neatly confused package. But it's not. Ms. Colette Gale transcends the easy way out and goes for something better.

I don't want to say too much. Read the review. Buy the book. And no, don't even ask where the contest for my copy is. Not. Gonna. Happen. MINE. Hear me? I'm not parting with this one. Go buy your own.

You won't be disappointed.

Two more you won't be disappointed with: H, by Elizabeth Shepard. This slim, older (1995) book would make great book club discussions.

And... the review is coming. The giveaway is coming. The Rabbi's Cat 2, by my hero, Joann Sfar. Stay tuned, but take this chance to pick up The Rabbi's Cat (the original) so you know what's going on when you read The Rabbi's Cat 2. Because you don't want to miss out on brilliance.

(psst. Master. Buy it!)

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Thanks for the links and recommendations! I checked out the cover for Master, and it's indeed yummy.

And I've heard great things about The Rabbi's Cat. It's another book on my to-be-acquired list. :)
 
Going to Front Street Reviews and check it out now. :)
 
Mmmmmm... Master and Unmasqued both sound scrumptious! Added both to my wish list. :) (And how anyone could read the dust jacket of Unmasqued and not figure out it's erotica, I cannot imagine!)

Also, for Great Litra-chur, The Count of Monte Cristo is actually quite readable. The Husband and his best friend, a cabinet maker and a fireman, respectively, both recommended it, so I figured it couldn't be too dense or tragic... I read it and was quite pleasantly surprised to find I loved it!
 
Sounds like a great book, but it'll have to wait until I've finished reclaiming my dining room table (I'm working on it).
P.S. I tagged you for a meme, it's short, it's not too bad, I think you'll like it. :)
 
Geez, you sure know how to pick 'em. Like I have time to read... *grumble grumble*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home