Saturday, June 07, 2008

 

Susan's Inside Writing: Nights

By now, the devoted groupies of you should have caught on to the fun I've been having with certain writing prompts. Like this week's Sunday Scribblings.

The prompt this week, for those of you who didn't go visit it, is called "My nights." My nights anymore are boring. The Tour Manager puts the kids to bed and I dive for this here computer and begin trying to catch up on everything I didn't accomplish during the day: blogs, outtakes, and the current novel-length Work in Progress.

Yeah. Like I said, boring.

But, you lucky people you, I write about people who come alive at night. No, not vampires (although some would call KISS such).

I write about a rock band (well, two of them now that I've got Deadly Metal Hatchet) and the people who orbit them. That gives me lots of opportunities to write about the night.

I mean, when you're as big a band as ShapeShifter, you play at night. Even when you're participating in those day-long (or multi-day-long) concerts. You get to close the show. Like ShapeShifter did that one New Year's Eve. Or this night.

A good way to spend a night off is to go check out a new band.

The night doesn't end when a band leaves the stage. Oh, no. First, the band's gotta have a post-show meal. Or a party.

Sometimes, when a band is in its early days, roadies are hard to afford. That means the band has to do their own load-out after the show. This isn't always such a bad thing. After all, they might meet interesting people. Or field interesting propositions.

Nights are also good for dreams and serenades. Interesting things bubble out of your subconscious at night. And it's easy to be romantic at night.

Yeah, I'd rather spend my nights writing about the fictional rock band ShapeShifter and the people who orbit them. The possibilities of what can happen are endless, and I have yet to get tired of exploring, creating, and dreaming. Not to mention writing it all down and sharing it with you here.

Have fun exploring all these links to old posts. If you're not already a proud West of Mars groupie, hopefully I'll turn you into one. If you are already a groupie, stay tuned. New stuff is on the way.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I think I was at that show - they rocked! :)
 
Susan, that was mean. Here I was contemplating torrid nights from you!

:D

Thanks for those links!
 
After a certain hour, I am brain dead...like now...lol! I don't see how you can write at night. You amaze me. :)
 
That was one hell of a link trail you left. Some really cool people. Your voice, well, it doesn’t get more natural than that. The guys are perfect, remind me of what I used to say a lot and still think, that I’d rather stick around and listen to two or more guys cutting up like guys do than to go off and hang out with other chicks!
 
I was at that show, I got beaned by a guitar pick. :)
 
I often say that I spend time each night with my fictional characters because their lives are so much more interesting than my own! What better time to write than night, when the world quiets down so we can make that mental leap?
 
You're right. Afterwards, hauling out speaker cabinets, amps, lighting, drum kit - shove it in the van. Drive it back. Empty it. Put it in the store ...
After all that the girls were always too tired :-)
 
Ann, which show? New Year's Eve?
 
Ya know, I can't remember which one it was... I've been to so many and there was that bottle of rum and the big bucket o'margaritas and... :)
Oh yeah, it must have been New Year's, who knew that bean soup is good for hang overs (not!).
 
Lot of great links - what a fun idea. It's nice to see it's not all glamour for a rock band.
 
Okay, you have me. Add me to the list of groupy people.:) Great stories and a message too? I think so!. I will read lots more as time permits. Must sell house now!

b
 
Nights are definitely for musicians. There's no people like show people - and show people aren't perky at 8:30 in the morning.
 
I'm a night writer, and how! :) Night time is when I come most fully alive, especially creatively. :)
 
Hi Susan! I've seen you around Joely's blog but previous attempts to click through to yours were not met with success - the blog wouldn't load for some reason. But it seems okay now!

Thanks for mourning the Pens with me and stopping by the blog!

I'm curious if you've read Jeri Smith-Ready's Wicked Game, about vampire DJ's at a rock 'n roll station? (If you've blogged about it or SOMETHING, I'm so sorry for not checking. >.>)
 
Nope, not yet, Jess, but I just added it to my wish list.
 
Susan,

I've been checking your stuff out. You're so much fun! :)

PS How can spending your nights with a rock band, 2 no less, be boring??? :D
 
Nights are always best. Ah, what I coulda done with my nights. LOL It involves sex and biting though I think... or maybe sex in the men's room... or sex with a demon... You get my drift. I like what you do with your nights. Do it MORE. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home